On June 13, 2020, the closing ceremony of the Spring Class of the Classical Culture and Education Foundation of Canada was held in a warm atmosphere. To begin, Ms. Yunxiang delivered a speech on behalf of the Foundation, congratulating the teachers and students on concentrating on their studies for half a year during the epidemic. In addition to studying online for the weekend reading classes, a few more weekdays for public welfare have been opened. After that, the teachers of each class also summarized their learning this semester.
“This semester’s parent-child class had a total of 18 classes. The content of the reading includes Chapter 25 of ‘Advanced Eleventh’ to Chapter 15 of ‘Zilu Chapter 13’, with a total of 1775 words. The classroom arrangement is to first read the new content 10 times, then learn six new characters, and finally introduce a pictogram.
There are usually four to five children in class. Students Chen Hailun and Wang Yihan attended. He Hanning, Hejiya and Jayden also persisted very well. The enthusiasm for class is very high, and classes were also required on the long Easter weekend on April 11.
The children tried to adapt to the way of reading the classics online. Chen Hailun and Wang Yihan took the class seriously. After reading them 7 or 8 times, they were able to read them accurately and fluently for everyone. Haijiya has made great progress, and their concentration span was becoming longer and longer, which could apply to everyone. Hanning and Jayden listened patiently. The children were very active in participating in the literacy session, and also liked learning pictographs.
The teacher prepared a ppt file before classes, which contained six new words and one pictogram related to the content progress of this week. In order to increase children’s interest in learning Chinese characters, suitable images were found to visually and vividly display the various components of the character and introduce the origin and evolution of the character to deepen the children’s impression.”
Saturday “The Analects” class:
1. Summarized the performance and progress of each student.
2. Explained how to strengthen learning as a teacher and learn from other teachers’ good experiences.
3. Discussed everyone’s own results and gains.
“This semester of Mencius’s new class has a total of seven students. They have experienced 1 offline learning and 16 online Zoom learning sessions. The learning content of this semester are the contents of the four chapters of “Excerpts from Mencius”, “Liang Hui Wang Zhang Ju Shang”, “Liang Hui Wang Zhang Ju X”, “Gong Sun Chou Zhang Ju Shang” and “Gong Sun Chou Zhang Ju X”, which is a total of 4120 words that were recited. The students mainly studied Mencius’s thoughts of “benevolent governance” and “good nature”, 38 idioms and catchy sentences in Mencius, 47 literacy, and 30 idiom stories by the end of June. They also learned about the Spring Festival, Lantern Festival, Qingming Festival Ancient poems on festivals, twenty-four solar terms, Spring Festival and Qingming Festival. The “Perfect Attendance Award” went to Ruiyuan Chen and Wang Yiwen. The “Diligence Award” went to Ruiyuan Chen, Yiyang Jiang and Yiwen Wang. The “Good Deeds Award” went to Zhuoqi Chen, Yueting Huang, Alice Shen and Yueyue Yang.
1) The content of this semester was to complete recitation of Chapter 37-38 of Mencius and understand the explanations of idiom stories. 2) The students explored and tried golden sentences and interpretations of chapter content 3) What is remarkable about the students was that they all insisted on finishing the class and reading the books. They became the rare students who have completed the recitation of the”Four Books”! 4) Lectures in the autumn class: “Literature, History, and Philosophy” in China was also introduced
Summary of the 2020 Beichen Chinese Spring Class: Class number: 20 “Tao De Jing” 25-54 articles, a total of 30 articles 1921 words, no two words 651 words, 13 Chinese mythological stories, 8 festivals, 17 poems and rhymes, 60 idioms, 120 words and 104 new words.
We studied classic sentences and attached importance to the application of classics in life. As well, we studied mythology mainly to learn the methods and attitudes adopted by the ancients when facing problems and difficulties. We can learn from their courage, determination, perseverance, love, and kindness. We learned that the poems are mainly to guide the character and make children more honest. Everyone persististed in reading 232 times in 37 weeks in two semesters!
1. From March 16 to June 12, 2020, Monday to Friday, one hour a day, the entire Analects of Confucius 20 articles was essentially read 8 times by the students. They recognized 211 unique characters. In the later period, contents such as classic explanations, small ancient essays, ancient poems, cultural common sense, and traditional stories were added. The schedule is mainly arranged by Andy’s mother, and the parents take turns to prepare and preside over the lesson.
2. Highlights for the students:
o Full attendance: Andy, Haijiya, Longlong.
o The children not only read and recognize words very seriously, but also actively participate in class discussions. Some children also prepared lessons with their parents.
o Andy: “ read meticulously in class, finished homework responsibly after class, had standard pronunciation, a loud voice and greatly improved in literacy and neat writing. After class, I not only completed but went beyond the requirements of the recital homework. I have read some chapters more than 30 times.”
o Haijiya: “My reading participation is becoming higher and higher and voice is getting louder and louder. I could understand many words and I can also tell you the stories of Journey to the West and Nezha.”
o Ningning: “Most of the time, I can stay quietly beside my mother and listen to the reading of my classmates without affecting the class.”
o Long Long: “I joined halfway through, but every time I was extremely punctual. My pronunciation of recitation has improved a lot, and I take reading and writing very seriously. I also insist on recitation after class.”
o Tiantian: “Although I am very busy, I still insist on participating. I am very conscious in class.” Her piano level is very high.
o Yaoyao: “My spoken Chinese is good. I can tell you stories about the Dragon Boat Festival and Chinese etiquette. I can control the class in an orderly manner and ask questions freely. I am very suitable for being a teacher.”
o Nana: “I joined at the end. I speak clearly and am a master of literacy.”
o Jiansen: “I have participated in this for a while, and my literacy level is pretty good. Reading at home is very efficient and I was very dedicated.”
o Helen: “I participated from the beginning. Although I was young, I read it carefully every time.”
3. Certificate of award: Completion of “The Analects of Confucius” recitation award: Andy, Haijiya, Longlong, Tiantian.
Support children to complete the “Analects of Confucius” recitation awards: Andy’s mother, Haijiya’s parents, Longlong’s mother, Tiantian’s mother, Sun Mei.
Qianqian Xiaojunzi Adult
Beauty Award: Ningning.
The “Xueyong Analects” review class is from Monday to Friday:
1. Thoughts as an assistant teacher in the review class, briefly explained the review situation in the class
2. As a parent, talked about the benefits of the review class and the gains for parents’ children.
3. Discussed how to improve oneself as a parent.
Learning content of this semester: The English classic “On Friendship” started in April. The students got four days of recitation and one day to discuss the performance.
The highlights of the children in this class: they attended class on time, were courageous and actively read and participated in class discussions. The little teachers prepare lessons carefully.